Women’s country jackets are a wardrobe staple for many, providing both style and practicality for a range of outdoor activities. While it’s easy to get caught up in the latest fashion trends, it’s important to consider both form and function when choosing a country jacket.
To help you look and feel your best while navigating the Aussie country side, I’ll explore the balancing act between fashion and functionality in women’s country jackets, and offer tips on how to find the perfect one for your needs.
Factors to Consider
One of the key considerations when shopping for women’s country jackets is the type of activities you’ll be participating in. If you’re planning on doing a lot of hiking, for example, you’ll want a model that is durable, waterproof, and breathable. On the other hand, if you’re mostly looking for something to wear around town, you might prioritise style over function.
When it comes to functionality, there are a few key features to look for in a women’s country jacket. Waterproofing is a must for any outdoor jacket, especially if you’ll be spending time in wet or humid conditions. Breathability is also important, as it will help you stay comfortable and avoid overheating during physical activities. Look for models made from materials like Gore-Tex or similar waterproof and breathable fabrics.
A good design should fit well and be comfortable to wear. Here are some tips for ensuring that your country jacket fits well.
- Check the sizing: Make sure you know your measurements and refer to the size chart provided by the manufacturer. If you’re between sizes or have a particularly small or large frame, it’s a good idea to order a size up or down as needed.
- Try it on: Whenever possible, try on the jacket to get a sense of how it fits. Look for one that is comfortable to move in and allows for a full range of motion.
- Check the length: The length of the jacket should be appropriate for your height. For most people, this means the hem should hit the hips or slightly above. Avoid designs that are too short or too long, as they can be unflattering and may not provide adequate protection from the elements.
- Consider the sleeves: The sleeves should be long enough to cover your wrists when your arms are at your sides, but not so long that they bunch up or get in the way. If the jacket has adjustable cuffs, make sure they are tightened or loosened as needed to get the right fit.
- Check the shoulders: The shoulders of the jacket should sit comfortably on your shoulders and not be too tight or too loose. If the shoulders are too tight, it will feel constricting and may be uncomfortable to wear. If the shoulders are too loose, it may look sloppy and not provide the necessary warmth or protection.
- Adjust the fit: If it fits well overall, but there are still some areas that could be improved, consider using the adjustable features of the jacket, such as drawstrings, velcro closures, or zippers, to fine-tune the fit.
In addition to these practical considerations, it’s also important to think about style. While a functional piece is important, you’ll want to find one that you feel confident and stylish in. Look for designs with flattering cuts, colours that suit your style, and any additional details or embellishments that catch your eye.
One way to find the perfect balance between fashion and functionality is to look for jackets that offer both. Many high-quality outdoor brands offer stylish designs that are also designed for practicality. For example, Rip Curl’s Anti Series features jackets and coats that are both stylish and functional, with a waterproof and breathable shell, a flattering cut, and a range of colour options.
Another option is to invest in a versatile design that can be dressed up or down. A classic raincoat, for example, can be paired with dressy pants and heels for a chic, city-ready look, or paired with jeans and sneakers for a more casual, outdoor-ready ensemble.
Finally, don’t be afraid to mix and match to find the perfect balance. If you have a functional piece that you love, but it’s not quite your style, consider dressing it up with a cute scarf or statement belt.
On the other hand, if you have a stylish piece that’s not quite practical enough for your needs, pair it with functional layers like a fleece or thermal undershirt for added warmth and weather protection.
To Sum Up
In conclusion, finding the perfect balance between fashion and functionality in a women’s country jacket is all about considering your style and needs. Whether you prioritise style or function or want to find a design that offers both, there are plenty of options available to suit your needs. With a little bit of research and experimentation, you’ll be sure to find the perfect country jacket for you