A screening bucket can be attached to wheel loaders, excavators, skid steers or backhoe loaders. It is a versatile and hydraulically driven attachment. A screening bucket features a number of blades in different sizes for effective screening results. The screening bucket is generally used for selection, screening and separation of natural materials, after and before the crushing phase. Screening buckets are multifunctional attachments and are perfect tools for separating materials like construction and demolition waste, top soil, turf, compost soil and roots. Frequently used in combination with crushing bucket, the screening bucket can increase the crushing time up to 60 percent, allowing you to get materials appropriate to the type of job and to reuse or manage them in the best possible way. There are two main types of screening buckets – star screening and rotary screening bucket.
Star Screening Bucket – The star screening bucket is filled in the normal way, moved to the right position and powered up by engaging the hammer circuit. During the screening procedure, the bigger fragments are kept in the star bucket while the smaller ones are screened through the stars. When the screening process is completed, the hammer circuit is turned off and the star screening bucket moves to the tip area where the material is tipped out. This bucket has a unique screening action that rotates the retained material like a trommel/rotary bucket, but also has the advantage of rotating the star discs. This is achieved by mounting a star on a large arc around the top and back of the bucket. Another feature of the star screening bucket are the flexible, self cleaning, light weight, and polyurethane stars.
The folding and rotating action of the bucket along with the flexible stars provide many benefits. The flexible stars work gently with fragile materials, like turf and roots. They are self cleaning, eliminate the impact loads on the shafts, and reduce the shaft weight. The stars are also inexpensive and easily replaceable parts. This is another great benefit of he screening bucket.
Features of star screening bucket:
- Speed control mounted on the bucket gives variable fragment size.
- Rugged construction, using the best materials for reliability and long life.
- Interchangeable plate for different base machines.
- Interchangeable options for compost bucket, and spar options for all types of buckets.
- Simple maintenance.
- Replaceable panels working against replaceable discs and shafts.
Rotary Screening Bucket – The rotary screening bucket works just like the star screening bucket. The rotary bucket has a unique drum that gives great efficiency. With new design, the rotary screening bucket has the power to eliminate some problems that have been present in the old and standard rotary screening buckets.
Features of the rotary screening bucket:
- With a variable speed control, the operator can adjust the speed of the drum.
- The rotary screening bucket includes a cross line relief valve for drum overrun protection.
- Simple and compact construction.
- Easy for maintenance.
- The drums of the rotary screening bucket can be removed easily without any special tools.